Dog Allergies: Symptoms, Causes, Testing, Treatments and 8 Tips

If you suspect that you are allergic to dogs, see an allergist for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Photo provided by Flickr
The best treatments for any allergy in dogs are corticosteroids, antihistamines, and a topical ointment, such as a cortisone cream or gel. Additionally, a special shampoo may be prescribed to decrease the itching and an antibiotic to prevent infection.
Stem Cell Therapy for skin allergy in Dogs and Cats before treatment (Severe pododermatitis)
Photo provided by Flickr
Dogs with chronic skin infections or allergies should be tested for hypothyroidism. If your pet has hypothyroidism, desensitization therapy and anti-inflammatory medications will often fail to help your pet unless the hypothyroid condition is also treated. When allergies occur, the skin produces more sebum, which is an oily material that causes a musty odor. Once the itching and scratching are controlled, the odor and seborrhea should clear up. A skin or ear infection may also cause skin odor.
"Bacteria, fungi and yeasts are all opportunists that can cause a secondary infection in dogs with underlying atopic dermatitis."
Bacteria, fungi and yeasts are all opportunists that can cause a secondary infection in dogs with underlying atopic dermatitis. The secondary infection may require specific antimicrobial treatment in addition to the allergy treatment. Stem Cell Therapy for skin allergy in Dogs and Cats after treatment by Dr. Kraemer
Photo provided by FlickrTherefore, much of the treatment for a dog’s eye allergies will be avoidance of the allergen and some changes at home.
Photo provided by FlickrDog Allergy Medicine: Hot Spot Treatment & Itch Relief for Dogs | Petco
Photo provided by Flickr
(AD) is the term used to describe environmental (indoor and/or outdoor) allergies. It is a common problem in dogs and that can cause a significant amount of misery in affected animals. Allergies are unlikely to be cured, but with a thorough investigation including diagnostics, proper treatments and owner compliance, allergies can be managed. Proper management can make an animal very comfortable and allow it to live a normal quality of life. In addition to traditional injectable immunotherapy (allergy shots), oral immunotherapy is now an option.This information can then be brought to your veterinarian who will be able to properly diagnose your dog’s allergy symptoms and provide him with the best treatment.Rawhides for dogs are not only a tasty treat but idouble as a type of mental stimulation as well. While your dog may love to devour rawhides, it might not be the best thing for him. It is possible he may have an allergy to them. Rawhides are made from cows or horses but typically also have beef, chicken, or pork added to them. If your dog is allergic to any of these ingredients, he will be allergic to the rawhide. Your dog may develop typical allergy symptoms if he is allergic to it. Treatment and recovery are very easy though, so do not panic. Stop giving him the rawhide, no matter how much he loves it, and all allergy symptoms should cease.Most owners won’t be aware of an allergic response until the antibiotic is prescribed to their dog. This is why it is important to watch dogs carefully anytime a new medication is started and get immediate treatment for symptoms that appear unusual or severe. All previous allergic reactions should be communicated to the veterinarian before an antibiotic is prescribed. If your dog has an allergic response to one antibiotic, it’s likely that he will experience a similar problem with other medications in the same class. While waiting for implemented treatments to begin working, such as waiting for the rice to makes its way out of your dog’s symptoms for 90 days, your veterinarian may prescribe a medication to help with the itching your dog may be suffering from. This medication will help for a while, but it is important to remove the source of the allergen as well.Most veterinarians consider Advantix safe for dogs, but it is a strong medication that should be used with caution. The main active ingredients are imidacloprid and permethrin, both of which can be toxic in high doses. Imidacloprid is an insecticide that belongs to a group of chemicals called neonicotinoids (they mimic the action of nicotine in the tobacco plant). Neonicotinoids act on the central nervous system to kill insects. They are less toxic to mammals, but studies on rats have found that high doses of imidacloprid can cause thyroid problems. Permethrin is another insecticide that acts as a neurotoxin. It is very toxic to cats and fish, but less so to other mammals. Advantix packages carry a warning to keep cats away from a treated dog for 24 hours. It’s also a good idea discourage your dog from swimming in streams and ponds immediately after treatment since Advantix could contaminate the water.